30 Days of Thanks Nov 12

Yesterday came and went and I did not sit down to journal my daily thanks. I was busy until late in the evening and by the time I got home I was exhausted and not feeling 100%.  This week my body was giving me fair warning to slow down or else. This morning when I woke up I realized my body wasn't bluffing.  If I had just heeded my body's warning and did what I knew I should have done, such as rest more, drink plenty of water, and eat right, I wouldn't be experiencing these consequences now. But, it was my choice to not heed my body's warning.  My bad. 

There are consequences to everything we do in life, both good and bad. If we spend more than we earn, we will end up in debt. Whereas if we save and invest our money, we will be prepared for emergencies and retirement and be able to afford to live comfortably. Our grandparents knew, our parents knew and even my generation was raised knowing there were consequences to our actions.  I taught our children as well. I remember telling them to clean their rooms and when they didn't do it right away, I would have that conversation saying "you can choose to clean your room and mommy will thank you and give you a treat, or you can choose not to clean your room and you will be grounded from going outside to play. The choice is yours."

It seems more often these days, the truth about consequences is ignored. Choices has become more about what we want to do, what we feel we deserve to do and, what is our "right" to do  and less about doing what we know is the right thing to do. Forget about the consequences. We want what makes us "feel good" right now regardless of the outcome. Sometimes making the right choices isn't the most comfortable for us, but it's the right thing to do.  When we make bad choices it may look like we're getting away with it for a little while, but eventually we will pay the consequences for it.   

God is a good and just God. His word never changes. He is very clear about good and bad choices and the consequences we experience when we make those choices. When God tells us that we will reap what we sow, He is not punishing us, He's telling how things really are. 

John 3:16-18 says 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.  God is very clear here. The choice is ours, and we know ahead of time the outcome of those choices.  

For those of us who are mature enough to accept the truth that every action and choice has consequences, we can use that law to our advantage. We can almost assuredly predict what will happen to us. God's law isn't a restriction, but a path to freedom! 

I am thankful that God gave us our choices and tells us the consequences to each choice so that we can make the right decisions.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a Heartbeat

Christmas tablescape

It's Your Move