Lucky to be Blessed

St. Patrick’s Day is one holiday that most of the world enjoys celebrating. These days, celebrating St. Patty’s Day means green clothes, green drinks, and green rivers, with the loose interpretation of an Irish shamrock meets the luck of the Irish and “Kiss me, I’m Irish."


The real story behind St. Patrick’s Day begins with a teenager, who was believed to be named Maewyn Succat. He was not even Irish! At the age of 16, Maewyn was kidnapped by pirates and sold into slavery in Ireland as a sheepherder. It was there that he learned the Irish language and began to pray to the God his parents had told him about. Maewyn was in slavery for about six years when he escaped. It is said that he had a dream from God telling him to walk along the coast and find a ship waiting to sail to Britain. He did as God told him in his dream and there was a ship, and he escaped.
There are many stories as to the timeline of Maewyn’s life, but one thing everyone agrees on is that after Maewyn returned home to his parents, he felt a calling on his life. He became a priest, where he adopted the name of Patrick. Patrick had another dream from God, which led him back to Ireland. He traveled and preached all across Ireland for 40 years, and converted many thousands to Christianity. Although he never received an official Sainthood from the Catholic Church, his popularity earned him his title of Saint and it was not disputed.
What appeared to look like bad luck for Maewyn turned out to be God using those circumstances for good and blessing not only Maewyn, but also thousands of others! Romans 8:28 says “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.”
That wasn't the first time that God turned a “bad luck” situation around for good! In Genesis 37 we are told about a young man named Joseph who was sold into slavery by his jealous brothers. Joseph’s father Jacob favored Joseph over his older brothers, because Joseph's mother was his favorite wife. That was strike one.
Jacob_blesses_Joseph_and_gives_him_the_coatJoseph also had dreams from God from an early age. These dreams were about himself being bowed down to by his family and being in a powerful position. Joseph’s immaturity resulted in him bragging about his dreams to his brothers, and his brothers didn’t like it one bit. Strike two!
When Joseph was a teenager, his father had a beautiful coat made for him, one with expensive material that only royalty would wear. Joseph’s older brothers, who spent most of their time tending sheep and being dirty, did not have such finery and were jealous of Joseph’s coat. Strike three!
Many of us know the story well. After deciding not to kill their younger brother, they instead decided to dig a hole in the desert floor and throw Joseph in it. They then found someone who would buy him and sold him into slavery. After many trials and small victories as a slave, God used Joseph’s dreams once more to promote him to a coveted position under his master. Eventually Joseph rose to become vizier, the second most powerful man in Egypt next to Pharaoh. People bowed down to him, including his own brothers.
In these two stories, it would appear these men were lucky to be blessed, which seems like an oxymoron; a combination of words that have very different meanings. The dictionary defines luck as a force that brings good fortune or adversity by chance; it is indefinite and unpredictable. Whereas blessing or blessed means enjoying happiness; conducive to happiness or welfare; bringing pleasure, contentment, or good fortune.
I was diagnosed with cancer back in 2009, and while I by no means want to go through that scare again, or the treatments that followed, I still tell people that it was a blessing in disguise. I have always been a "do-er." I hit the ground running--or, in my case, walking--outside or on the treadmill, and I go hard all day. I am a list maker and have things planned in my calendar just about every hour of every day.
Mindy Kaye last day of chemo 2009When I was going through chemotherapy, I was forced to slow down. There were days where I made it downstairs in the morning but did not have the energy to get off the couch all day. It was those days that I had my Bible, my computer and my prayer time almost the entire day. I leaned on God, I learned to love His word, and I cherished the time I was able to spend in His Presence. Once I was able to go back to work, I missed those quiet times with God.
It is to the darkest times of my life that I look back most fondly. Not only did I come to love God more, learned more from His Word, and had the time to pray for others, but I also learned to appreciate more, love more, and be thankful for more than I ever had in my life. I just celebrated 7 years of being a survivor, and life has settled into a new normal for me. I am healthier than I’ve ever been, and I am able to help others on their pathway to health. Being physically stronger and healthier is truly a blessing born out of what seemed to be bad luck. I now have a new purpose in life and I am passionate about it, something I never had in the corporate world. I am able to help others become healthy while at the same time minister to them through prayer and God’s word to assist them making their spiritual life healthy as well. So, am I lucky, or blessed?
"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows," James 1:17.
Shazzy Fitness Guest Blogger Mindy Kaye is a Christian Holistic Health Coach, wife, mother and nana. She has 3 blogs: one dedicated to life in general; one for her journey during and after breast cancer; and one called It All Begins with Dirt, which is dedicated to getting back to the basics of growing and eating healthy, organic foods. Follow her on Facebook at Healthy Choices Lifestyles.

Read the full article over at Shazzy Fitness where I'm a guest blogger

Comments

  1. Good web site you have got here.. It's hard to find excellent writing
    like yours nowadays. I seriously appreciate individuals like you!
    Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this
    post was great. I don't know who you are but certainly you're going to a
    famous blogger if you aren't already ;) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for finally talking about >"Lucky to be Blessed"
    <Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoah this blog is great i like reading your posts.
    Stay up the great work! You understand, lots of persons are hunting around for this information, you could aid them greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, this was a really nice post. Taking the time and actual effort to generate a top notch
    article… but what can I say… I hesitate a lot and don't manage to get anything done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJuly 20, 2018

    Hello there! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after
    reading through some of the post I realized it's new
    to me. Anyways, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll
    be book-marking and checking back frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group?

    There's a lot of people that I think would really enjoy
    your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so awesome! I do not think I have read through something
    like this before. So great to find someone with a few unique
    thoughts on this topic. Really.. many thanks for starting this up.
    This web site is one thing that's needed on the internet,
    someone with some originality!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks designed for sharing such a fastidious
    thinking, piece of writing is pleasant, thats why i have read
    it entirely

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello there I am so glad I found your web site, I really found you by error, while I was researching on Aol
    for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say
    kudos for a fantastic post and a all round exciting blog
    (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look
    over it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and
    also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be
    back to read more, Please do keep up the excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone loves it when individuals get together and share views.
    Great site, continue the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, this was an exceptionally good post. Spending some time and actual effort to generate a great article… but what can I say… I put things off a lot and don't seem to get
    anything done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. AnonymousMay 01, 2019

    Este sitio web realmente tiene toda la información que deseaba sobre
    este tema y no sabía a quién preguntar. ¡Volveré, ya que
    he marcado esta página como favorita y lo he twitteado
    a mis seguidores!

    ReplyDelete
  14. AnonymousMay 02, 2019

    What's up, just wanted to say, I liked this blog post.
    It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousMay 05, 2019

    Hello! I've been following your weblog for some time
    now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Dallas Texas!
    Just wanted to say keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. AnonymousMay 18, 2019

    Your style is really unique compared to other folks I've read
    stuff from. I appreciate you for posting when you have the
    opportunity, Guess I'll just book mark this web site.

    ReplyDelete
  17. AnonymousMay 20, 2019

    Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing
    this post plus the rest of the website is also really good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment